Sunday, October 16, 2016

Drawing a Square and Hexagon in LOGO

Here is a link to my video of my programmed drawing of a square and hexagon. 


I enjoyed using LOGO after reading about it in research that I have done on Papert's Constructionism. It was like meeting an old Aunt that I have heard a great deal about.  True to that analogy, I found it to be charming, but a little bit limiting. At the same time it was challenging because it is a new environment.

This is not my first experience learning to code onscreen objects in an educational setting.  I have worked extensively with Scratch animation for my Create with Code course (were you in that with me, William?).  What I like the most about programming is that it is in your hands, and it is only limited by the tools that you have at that time.  You can think of workarounds for almost anything if you use your imagination.

It is amazing how many mental shortcuts are laid bare when you try them in a programming environment.  Your thought process gets a real editing when you have to be systematic about every step.  The compiler will not fill in the blanks of your thought process for you!

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I went back and indeed you, John D. and I were all in class last spring. Your project included using Scratch to make science concepts come to life.
    You are correct when you state that you have to be systematic about every step. That type of procedural thinking is very important in the learning process.

    ReplyDelete